Tuesday 14 June 2022

Rainy Season

 The rainy season started on Monday.  Non stop rain.  At the moment it is still cool so doesn't feel too bad. 

I'm often asked if there is a rainy season in England.  We get a lot of rain all year but no rainy season.  Because of this we have a lot of ways to describe rain.

It's raining cats and dogs means very heavy rain.

Another saying for heavy rain is "It's coming down in buckets", I can remember my Mom saying this.

A short shower that lasts for just a few minutes is a sun shower or sneeze.

Light rain is a drizzle. As is a mist.  

There is also a cloudburst and torrential rain.

There are many more, most of them are regional.  

I grew up with this kind of weather.  The day could start out nice and sunny but by lunch time wit could be pouring down.  I could never be bothered with carrying an umbrella with me so I often got soaked through.  I still don't carry an umbrella, after all it's only water!




No comments:

Post a Comment

First Halloween Party

 This week is Halloween party week.  Not doing anything big, people are still worried about corona!   The first party was last Saturday.  (2...